Whenever I had the opportunity to order a club sandwich at a restaurant–I would go for it. Bacon, turkey, mayo, cheese: what’s not to like? I’m no longer able to do that, but I can make my own, dammit! This is the first one I’ve had in probably about two years, and I’m really glad it turned out!
- 2 slices of Whole Foods All Natural Gluten Free Sandwich Bread (or other tolerable bread)
- 2-3 slices of bacon (make sure it’s uncured!)
- 2-3 slices of turkey sandwich meat
- 1 slice of Swiss cheese
- A few baby spinach leaves (or other tolerable lettuce item)
- Mayo (make sure to read ingredients)
- Cheetos (or potato chips if you can’t have corn)
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat to cook the bacon (you’ll know it’s ready if you flick a small amount of water on the pan and it dances around in beads). Cook the bacon on both sides until desired crispiness, and transfer onto a plate lined with paper towels.
Meanwhile, toast your bread in a toaster. If it was frozen you’ll probably need to toast it a few times and then throw it on the skillet for a few seconds on each side after the bacon is done. (Otherwise the middle stays soggy while the crust gets burnt.)
Pile your ingredients on the bread in layers. Add your Cheetos or chips to the plate!
Time: about 12 minutes.
Elimination Diet safe: YES!
(Each piece of bread has 4g of sugar, so remember that’s 2g of fructose per slice)